How to dispose of household waste with a vehicles over 2 metres high

To make it easier to recycle we have removed the 2 metre height restrictions at our recycling centres (except Spring Vale in Rochdale and Every Street in Bury).

Waste transfer facilities are open for residents to dispose of:

Any waste produced by tradespeople or builders you hired to carry out improvements, repair or alterations to your home is classed as business waste. Always ask a tradesperson to include waste disposal in their quote.

Important information before you visit

From 1st December, if you are using a van, pick-up truck or a twin-axle trailer to dispose of household waste you now need a permit. Please visit the van and twin-axle permit page for more information.

You will need to register for a permit if you plan to hire a van or twin axle trailer for a short term hire. You will need to take your hire documents to site with you as an operative will ask to see them. Please allow 2 workings days for your application to be processed

Waste transfer facility rules

Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

For health and safety reasons, PPE must be worn when recycling or disposing of your household waste at the waste transfer facilities. These are working industrial sites where council and high sided vehicles go. 

Previously we were able to provide shared PPE for residents to borrow, however we are currently unable do to so. You must bring and wear your own.

If you do not wear the correct PPE, you will not be able to dispose of your waste and recycling.

You must wear:

Personal Protective Equipment icons

Provide a proof of address

Please take your recent council tax bill, annual water bill or utility bill (gas, electric or landline telephone) relating to the property where the waste is from. You can bring a printed copy or show it on your phone. Please note mobile telephone bills are not accepted.

Provide a hire vehicle document

If you are using a hire vehicle please take your hire agreement documents with you.

Number of visits

The number of times you can visit Greater Manchester Suez waste transfer facilities in a year, depends on the size of your vehicle:

Waste transfer facilities opening times

Reliance Street is closed.

Waste transfer facility

Opening times

Salford Road, Over Hulton Mon to Sat – 7am to 5pm

Sun and Bank Holidays – 10am to 4pm

Every Street, Bury Garden waste not acceptedMon to Fri – 7.30am to 5pm

Sat – 8am to 1pm

Sun – Closed

Bank Holidays – 10am to 5pm

Longley Lane is currently closed to trade waste and vehicles over 2m for essential maintenance and will reopen in 2022.
Arkwright Street Mon to Fri – 7am to 6pm

Sat and Sun – 7am to 5pm

Bank holidays – 7am to 6pm

Chichester Street Mon to Fri – 7am to 5pm

Sat – 7am to 1pm

Sun – Closed

Bank Holidays – 7am to 5pm

Cobden Street Mon to Fri – 7am to 5pmSat – 7am to 1pm

Sun – Closed

Bank Holidays – 7am to 5pm

Bayley Street, Stalybridge Mon to Fri – 7am to 5pmSat – 7am to 1pm

Sun – Closed

Bank holidays – 7am to 5pm

Bredbury Parkway, Bredbury Mon to Fri – 7am to 6pmSat and Sun – 7am to 5pm

Bank holidays – 7am to 6pm

Recycle for Greater Manchester