Cooked and uncooked food

Cooked and uncooked food can be recycled in your food and garden bin at home.

Food waste can’t be recycled at any of the 20 recycling centres across Greater Manchester. This is because the recycling centres are not licensed to accept segregated food waste.

You will most likely have a kitchen caddy to collect your food waste in. Make sure the caddy has a compostable liner inside.

Do not use plastic or biodegradable bags in your kitchen caddy. Only use compostable liners with the seedling logo and reference code EN13432 to make sure they are compostable. Newspaper is not a suitable alternative to line your caddy as it inhibits the composting process.

Compostable liners are either available from your local council or most supermarkets.

Food waste that can be recycled at home includes:

Find out what happens to your food and garden waste here.