HOW MATTRESSES ARE RECYCLED




If you are replacing your mattress, you can take your old mattress to a recycling centre.

Mattresses are delivered to The Furniture Recycling Group in Bolton, where they are dismantled, ready to be recycled into something new.

Pile of mattresses at the recycling facility

Mattress recycling facts

  • 95% of the materials from mattresses are recycled and remaining 5% go to energy from waste.
  • Up to 1,000 mattresses are dismantled every day at the recycling facility in Bolton.
  • Up to 250,000 mattresses recycled a year.

The recycling process

1. Mattresses are collected from our recycling centres in Greater Manchester.

2. The mattresses are then delivered to the recycling facility.

3. Mattresses are dismantled by hand into 19 component parts.

This includes:

  • Cotton
  • Foam
  • Latex
  • Polycotton
  • Nylon
  • Steel

Mattress storage
Mattress foam
Material Mattress bales

4. The separated materials are then cleaned ready for processing

  • Pocket springs – separated into steel and polypropylene.
  • Steel springs and textiles are baled up ready for reprocessors.
  • Foam is reprocessed into new products in house.

5. The materials are made into new products such as:

  • New mattresses
  • Pet bedding
  • Car upholstery
  • Carpet underlay
  • Stab-proof vests





LATEST NEWS & EVENTS


A man bends to plant a young tree on a field. A female colleague stands close by. A recycling centre is in the background.
NEWS | BLOG | 15th July 2024
How your local tip is improving biodiversity

We’ve made it our mission to make room for nature at our waste and recycling sites.

READ MORE
pf bike hub
NEWS | BLOG | 1st May 2024
R4GM Community Fund Success Story: Platt Fields Bike Hub

Based next to the lake in Platt Fields Park, the Bike Hub has been working hard over the past few months to get old bikes back on the road, while at the same time giving refugees a way to get around the city.

READ MORE
R4GM Community Fun. Get your neighbourhood wasting less, reusing more, and recycling right. Apply for up to £20k 8th April - 31st May
NEWS | 9th April 2024
£220,000 funding pot available for new, innovative green projects in Greater Manchester

£220,000 is available for projects which help to reduce, reuse, or recycle household waste, and generate wider social benefits for their communities in Greater Manchester.

READ MORE





COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS