Coronavirus (COVID-19) update and advice:

All Recycling Centres are closed


Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

If you go out, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times

Wash your hands as soon as you get home

Do not meet others, even friends or family. You can spread the virus even if you don’t have symptoms.

Read more


Coronavirus (COVID-19) update and advice

Recycling Centres are closed

 All 20 Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) across Greater Manchester are closed. The government guidance is clear that everyone should stay at home except for basic necessities such as food shopping, collecting medication and daily exercise.

Please do not fly tip your waste. Do not leave any of your waste:

  • beside street bins and recycling banks
  • on the floor of communal bin areas
  • outside closed recycling centres and charity shops
  • anywhere that isn’t a registered waste facility or container

Bin collections

Your council’s bin collection crews are working hard to ensure your bins are collected. However, there may be changes to your collection service. For the most up to date information about your bin collections, please visit your council’s website. Due to the changes, our mobile app is not accurate.

Minimise your waste

Garden waste

Before you do any gardening, check  your garden waste is being collected by your council first. You can also try composting at home instead.

DIY and clear outs

Avoid doing large DIY projects or clear outs unless you have space to store your waste.

Make the most of the space in your bin

Make space in your bin by squeezing air out of your bin bags, you can also flatten and squash your rubbish too.

How to safely store waste and recycling

• Check your local council’s website for updates on your bin collections
• Keep your bins in a secure place, at least one metre away from your property
• Avoid storing your bins under covered areas, such as porches
• Don’t overfill your bins or leave loose rubbish around them
• Never put batteries or electrical items in your bins – store them safely at home until the Recycling Centres reopen
• Only put your bins out on collection days and bring them in once they’ve been emptied
• If you have extra rubbish while the Recycling Centres are closed, store it securely in a shed or a garage if possible, or in a neat pile at least one metre away from your property

Advice for people living in flats and high-rise properties

• Always dispose of your rubbish according to the building arrangements
• Where you have a communal bin room use it but stay 2 metres away from neighbours
• Rubbish should never be stored in corridors, stairs or hallways
• Do not store flammable materials like gas on your balcony
• Reduce clutter and keep items on the balcony to a minimum
• If you smoke, make sure you stub cigarettes out properly and never flick them off your balcony
• Never put batteries or electrical items in your own bin or communal bins

What should I do with personal waste?

Guidance for households with possible coronavirus (COVID-19) infection:

Personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths can be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags. These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin.

Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.

For more information, visit GOV.UK

What should I do with cement bonded asbestos, gypsum or plasterboard?

Our facilities where high sided vehicles and council vehicles are not open to the public therefore you currently cannot dispose asbestos, gypsum or plasterboard from your home.  Please do not carry out DIY projects that would involve the removal of these materials unless you have safe and secure storage.

What should I do with electrical items?

Please store electrical items safely at home, please do not put these in any of your wheelie bins at home as they can spark and can cause fires.

What should I do with batteries?

Please store batteries safely at home, please do not put these in any of your wheelie bins at home as they can spark and can cause fires.

What should I do with clothes and textiles?

Please do not put any clothes or textiles in any of your wheelie bins at home as they can tangled in our waste and recycling facilities which can cause breakages.

What do I do with garden waste?

Most councils are still collecting garden waste, however you can compost garden waste at home.

Is the entrance for high-sided vehicles and traders closing?

All our facilities are closed to members of the public, but remain open to the local councils’ waste collection vehicles. This is so we can support the local councils to continue operating vital services.

What are the Recycling Centre staff doing?

The Recycling Centre staff will be moved to work on our other waste treatment facilities where council vehicles go to deliver the waste and recycling collected from your bins at home. Our main priority is to support the councils so they can continue to offer a bin collection service.

Recycle for Greater Manchester