During the fire on 15th November 2018, local residents were advised by Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service to keep their windows and doors closed. The fire no longer poses a threat and is not distributing ash or debris. The property involved in this fire had an asbestos cement roof. The owner of the property is demolishing it today so as a precaution, it is recommended that residents keep their windows and doors closed for the rest of the day. It is also advised that pet owners ensure their animals avoid visiting contaminated areas.
It has been reported that material has been deposited in ash or debris in the vicinity of the trading estate and surrounding residential areas. This may contain asbestos and Salford City council are taking steps to clean roads and paths, and are working with the company to offer specialist cleaning of properties.
The risk to health is low and there is unlikely to be any significant exposure to asbestos following fires involving materials containing asbestos.
Salford City council are working closely with other agencies, including Public Health England. They have also appointed specialist consultants to monitor the air quality in the area for potential pollutants to that the best possible advice can be given to residents.
As a precautionary measure, it is sensible that any asbestos containing debris is carefully removed to minimise any potential exposure.
Salford City council are arranging a clean-up of asbestos containing materials spread by the fire which may have fallen as ash and debris over the surrounding areas. This is in conjunction with the property owner’s contractor.
If you find small particles of ash or debris from the fire on your property or vehicles and they are small enough to wash away, you can first dampen them down using water, then gently flush them away to the drain. If there are larger pieces of debris, contact Salford City council for specialist removal using the contact details below.
Do not sweep up or vacuum ash or debris as this could create airborne dust. Do not attempt to touch or take asbestos material to the Recycling Centre.
Call Salford City council on 0161 793 2500 or request removal using the online form.
If you have come into contact with the smoke plume and you experience any breathing difficulties, watery eyes, coughing and a sore throat, and have any other ongoing symptoms, contact your GP or call NHS 111.